New Year, More Self Care
There is nothing wrong with aspiring and affirming to be your best self. And with the new year peaking around the corner, we can all get a head start with implementing strategies that prioritize our mental health.
Self-acceptance: use the new year as an opportunity to practice self-acceptance and self-love. Self-acceptance and self-love can be practiced by forgiving yourself, exploring gratitude, exploring mindfulness, and by surrounding yourself with positive influences.
Physical activity: exercising 20-30 minutes per day can assist with reducing symptoms of stress, depression and anxiety. Schedule time for a walk outside, attend a gym session, or participate in a sport. This is a great opportunity to explore a new hobby or revisit an old hobby.
Self-care: do what helps you relax and recharge and do it often. Ensure that you make time for yourself everyday. This can be as simple as running a warm bath, lighting a candle or getting a massage.
Embrace a positive mindset: challenge negative self-talk and replace pessimistic thoughts with positive thoughts. Journaling is a great way to identify your thoughts and practice reframing them.
Stop comparing yourself to others: focus on your individual strengths, become aware of your triggers and avoid them, limit social media access.
Practice acts of kindness: join an organization that focuses on a cause near and dear to your heart.
Let go of toxic relationships that leave you feeling helpless and hopeless: remember these relationships need not only be interpersonal. Our relationship with food or social media can leave us feeling helpless and hopeless.
- https://www.thisiscalmer.com/reignite : Learn how to identify and prevent burnout with this free, 10-week online wellbeing course.
- Mindfulness: be mindful. Live in the moment by Gill Hasson: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17472612-mindfulness
- Atomic Habits by James Clear: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40121378-atomic-habits?ref=nav_sb_ss_1_13
- Holistic self-care guided journal by Carley Schweet: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52793228-holistic-self-care-guided-journal?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=Sb26VnLuoz&rank=1
- Reimagining self-care for black folks: https://mhanational.org/blog/reimagining-self-care-black-folks